1. What happens if my phone dies or the Bluetooth connection is lost?
Echo® is a plug and play electric brake controller. Once it is configured, the unit will stay on the last saved setting even if the phone dies or the Bluetooth connection is lost. If Bluetooth is disconnected, the unit will continue to function on the last saved setting, but the manual override function will be lost.
2. How does Echo® know when to brake?
The Echo® applies the trailer brakes when the vehicle's brake pedal is pressed and its triple-axis accelerometer senses stopping motion.
3. If I already have a brake controller installed and I want to upgrade to Echo®, do I need to disconnect and remove the existing brake controller?
If a functioning 12V 7-way is installed on your vehicle, Echo® will override an existing trailer brake controller unit. There is no technical need to uninstall a hard-wired unit.
4. How far does the Bluetooth signal reach?
The Echo® wireless brake controller is designed to provide Bluetooth connection up to 50 ft. without obstruction. This may also be limited by the Bluetooth signal strength of your phone.
5. Will my screen stay on while using the app?
Yes, the app will prevent the phone screen from going into sleep mode. If you'd prefer that your phone be in sleep mode, you can turn off the screen. However, as mentioned under question 1, you will lose the manual override function.
6. Can anyone hack into my Echo® via Bluetooth?
No, you're only able to connect to the Echo® unit using the Smart Control app and by entering the pin stored under the cap or within the installation instructions.
7. Will the app work with my phone?
The CURT Echo® mobile trailer brake controller Smart Control app is compatible with Apple IOS 5 or higher and Android 4.3 or higher.
8. Is Echo® compatible with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto?
No, Echo® is not compatible with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. However, it will not interfere with these features either.